09 January 2011

WELCOME

Great news today...my latest grandchild was born at 12.30 am. A baby boy, 7lbs 4oz. Mother and baby fine. I am thrilled to have a grandchild here in the city as the other 3 live abroad.

I was SURE it was going to be a girl, so sure I ironed this Debbie Bliss jacket and shoes last night when Amanda went to the hospital. Not an entirely satisfactory pattern. Each wee triangle is knitted separately and that makes for too many threads to be woven in on a tiny garment, 22 loose ends on the neck alone.



so Oliver will have to have this sweet vest. Another Debbie Bliss pattern with lovely detail. The cables travel onto the neck and armhole edges. Vintage 60s crepe wool from the hospice shop in Huddersfield, Yorkshire.



Please don't think it will be his only sweater, I have several waiting for him using my very favorite 1930s Beehive pattern. Knit from the top down, this one used a 1940s 3 ply grey wartime wool, again, picked up in Yorkshire. Vintage velvet buttons.

I shall offer to wash the sweaters myself (baby will not be too far away) using Eucalan, a terrific Canadian product that is great for woolens and vintage items alike. Garments do not have to be rinsed, often a soak is all that is required. (not paid for by Eucalan, though this would be nice)




Etsy news this weekend
One of my vintage scarves was featured in this cheerful treasury Your friendly etsy sellers, put together by Anacdesigns, who lives in London at the moment, she is part of Etsy Expats team, and makes elegant jewelry with flair.







11 comments:

  1. Hi and congratulations, I am sure you must be very happy and thrilled. All the best!!!
    Oh and I am definitely going to check out the patterns, I really need to improve my poor knitting skills. Later then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and lots of best wishes to the new family. Your knits for Oliver are lovely - my Mum used to knit from the Patons Beehive patterns for my youngest sister - 43 years ago!Glad you`ll have at least one grandchild close by - I love being a grandmother (although I still can`t quite believe that I am!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, congratulations - it's the best feeling, isn't it, being a granny?! Glad your little one will be nearby too. Lovely knits :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your latest grandchild. What beautiful knitting patterns - it's patterns like this that make me envy those who can knit, I've tried many times and although I can manage the plain stitch, the purl simply eludes me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful to have a new grandchild!! Very big congratulations to everyone involved!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the new grandson! and thank you for your comment on my blog! We've been to Toronto a few times as Keith's sister lives there - lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jan, congratulations to you and your family, how wonderful. I love the knitting, and also have some very old knitting books. Thank you too for being so supportive with comments on my blog. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness. I love all the pieces you share with us, and have to confess to being a bit of a 'vintage' bug myself. I just didn't realize that other people liked that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...