23 June 2014

Cake.....



This is most likely the only time you will get a recipe out of me.


Although I consider myself a good cook I really have not baked for about 15 years.


But the charming blackboard recipe at Eat Me Fruit and Vege, an independent grocer in Nelson, and the fact I was on holiday and very relaxed changed my mind. I thought I would give it a twirl.


Pacific Plum Cake was so good I made it 3 times ( well, I had to buy 1k of flour)  I also made it with peaches.


La Table de Nana and The English Kitchen, the two excellent cooking blogs I read regularly, would be proud of me.


Recipe   PACIFIC PLUM CAKE

2 cups ripe plums, cut into slices             4 eggs
150g butter ( softened)                           1 cup caster sugar
2 cups shredded or desiccated coconut   2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder                                1 cup milk ( 1/2 milk & 1/2 yogurt, yum)

In medium bowl, separate eggs & beat whites till they form soft peaks. In larger bowl, beat butter & caster sugar until creamy. Add yolks one at a time, beating between,then FOLD in coconut, flour, b/powder & the milk yogurt mixture.
FOLD in egg whites and carefully spoon mixture into a round spring form tin. gently plop plum slices evenly into the mixture around the tin.
Bake 1 1/4 hours at 150 or until knife dipped incomes out clean. Serve warm with yogurt and plum slices.
WENDY.

*** I found the oven temp a bit too low .....but we all know our own ovens.
Also great cold, lasts for a week, feeds at least 8.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds (and looks) divine. I'm always looking for recipes using lots of eggs for when all my chickens are laying at once. A bit of an egg drought at the moment as one is broody and the others are being lazy.
    I like the idea of the coconut too. On my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NZ there is a chain called "bin inn"( I think) .Useful as you can buy in bulk from 1 gramme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot - now I'm hungry!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...